Sustainable Woodland Management AIM L3
- The Green Wood Centre
- 04 Dec 2023 - 06 Dec 2023
Two days of classroom sessions and woodland visits are followed by a practical skills and woodland products day.
Role: CEO at Small Woods
Salary: £47,021 - £52,267
Contract: Permanent, full time
Location: Telford, Shropshire – flexible working available but with substantial presence on site
Small Woods is a membership charity working across England, Scotland and Wales that supports a thriving community with a shared passion for UK woodlands,
As the CEO of Small Woods, you will be a pivotal figure in leading our community to safeguard and nurture our precious woodlands for generations to come. You will be entrusted with the responsibility of guiding and implementing our comprehensive strategy, encompassing forestry guidance, training and skills development, advocacy efforts, governmental engagement, and innovative social projects that prioritise health and well-being. The evolving landscape requires an astute leader with the ability to combine strategic leadership with organisational management.
Over half the UK’s woodlands are neglected, overlooked, under-valued and are in danger of disappearing! Woodlands need our care and protection to realise their potential. When managed and used well, our woodlands are vital to thriving local economies, wildlife, and the wellbeing of communities, as well as hugely valuable in the fight against climate change. We believe in the environmental, social, economic and cultural benefits of bringing woodlands and people together. We support people to maintain, understand, and embrace woodlands for their health and wellbeing. We are developing a comprehensive strategy encompassing forestry guidance, impactful lobbying, governmental engagement, and the implementation of social projects promoting health and wellbeing.
Our new CEO will benefit from a strong team of staff and trustees and a well-run, ambitious and innovative organisation that is well-placed to develop further, grow our scope and resources, create innovative business plans and form more effective partnerships – ultimately delivering on our organisational vision.
As our new CEO, you will be demonstrate:
• At least three to five years’ experience of leading multiple projects and teams and delivering successful outcomes.
• A proven track record in managing staff, developing and co-ordinating projects, particularly those receiving EU/Government funding, and managing contracts.
• A successful track record of managing staff and getting the best out of them, including through performance management.
• Very strong resource management experience with skills to match, including budget setting and control, human resource management, health and safety and IT systems development.
• A good understanding of the problems and opportunities facing the woodland sector.
• A very strong commitment to the goals and objectives of a woodlands orientated, membership focused charity.
• Strong entrepreneurial and project management skills.
• Excellent networking, communication and advocacy skills.
If you would like to receive an Information Pack for this role with full details, including how to apply, please send an expression of interest and an (optional but appreciated) CV or professional profile in confidence to our consultant, Jenny Hills at Harris Hill: [email protected].
For an informal and confidential conversation about this position, please contact Jenny at the above address with suitable times to talk.
Closing date for applications: 9am, Monday 18th September
Harris Hill Charities Recruitment Specialists operates an equal opportunity policy and commits to treating all of our candidates and jobseekers fairly. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.